7 Strategies to Build A Successful Career: Angel Ojukwu
Having a successful career will offer you a lot of benefits and real profitable opportunities. As we live in a world governed by social status and money, working your way up to the top will definitely improve your quality of life.
You see, everyone has two natures. One wants us to advance, the other wants us to pull back or just remain in a comfort zone. The one we cultivate and decide upon determines whom we become. There are many possible reasons for which an individual would desire success.
As humans we tend to stay in the comfort zone because we are comfortable, this happened to me at some point in my career/life. I was happy and I just relaxed….. Yes 😊 …..
Luckily, with the right kind of training, every individual could be a success, trust me. Though, it’s not in your best interest to wait and expect others to assist you on the road there. You will have to push yourself to where you want to be.
If you feel you have outgrown where you or what you are doing then make a move – plane and execute.
Achievement and career advancement is the culmination of gaining self will power, setting firm resolutions and making a commitment to conquer your weakness and bad habits.
I will make an open confession, I found myself in a situation/job where I was so comfortable that I was almost rubbished, even though it was a fantastic job (well paid). I quickly woke up and made the right decisions (now I am happier), I would say know when to leave and encourage yourself.
The following seven working strategies will give you enough boosts to improve your career
- Identify with your goals: What do you want? Who are you? What can you do? All these questions and many more….Before even considering following a career route, you must get to know yourself. A big majority of people go through life by following a well-established pattern. The sad part is, they don’t even like what they do or they just don’t really realise how many other things they could do. In order to avoid this awful happening, you need to identify what are your biggest rational wishes. Then, start going deeper and make an in-depth introspection in which you should think about the connection between your inner desires and your rational goals. They have to match. Otherwise, you will not be truly fulfilled with your professional life. Identifying with your goals takes some time and effort, but it is a truly important process in any successful person’s journey.
- Build a professional resume: Your resume is basically your way of saying “I’m good at this, good at that, and I can help by doing this and that”. Well, that is why you should create a professional, neat resume. By taking care of this aspect, you are making sure that you’ll never be caught off guard. I update my resume at least twice a month, opportunities are everywhere, and you should always be ready with a quality resume. I believe that letting professionals deal with your resume is a productive choice. There are some amazing services like Careers Booster that can take care of your problem. They can help you to create a classic or an impressive visual resume.
- Become Aware of your strengths: Awareness is an essential key to personal improvement. By being aware of your inner thoughts, your strengths, your desires, and your disadvantages, you can adapt your life to whatever conditions you’re being put through. You’ll also get many benefits as you can leverage your knowledge and wisdom for the best purposes. It’s better if you choose your long term profession according to what you know about yourself. Are you a patient person? Would you be able to sit eight to twelve hours in an office working on a computer? Or you’d rather be a football coach because you’re truly passionate about football and you believe you could be an efficient trainer? No matter your strengths and disadvantages, you should choose a career path that advantages your traits and qualities.
- Assume full responsibility of your life: One difference between mediocre and successful professionals: responsibility. Even though you know the concept, you may not apply it every day. Whenever something bad happens, you need to assume it. Even if you haven’t done anything wrong, being there, the previous choices you’ve made (like trusting someone), these are still all factors which have been influenced by your thoughts and actions. Start assuming responsibility for all of your actions and never blame anyone for your mistakes. That’s the worst thing someone can do. Do not take things personally, and be calm.
- Always raise your standard: Remember this, it’s another critical factor which differentiates the successful from the non-successful. Your standards influence the way you think, believe, and behave. If your standards are high, you’ll never be satisfied with less than you can accomplish. People with high standards are most of the times more successful than the average. Every two or three months take a moment to reflect upon your standards and values. Try to improve them bit by bit up until you realize that you’ve become the best version of yourself.
- Brand yourself: Branding is very important nowadays: Big companies are spending hundreds of millions in order to establish themselves as the “big dogs” in the marketplace. It is an old business strategy used by almost every professional company. Your branding is your image in the marketplace. Professional employees should brand their names and services and constantly improve it. You can do that by starting a blog, creating a professional social media profile, or simply by providing awesome services. Do all the necessary training, be up to date.
- Keep a good a good Network: Networking is all about opportunities and connections. When you meet new people, you basically get a chance to use their skills to your advantage. Of course, you must also give back something: your services, your knowledge, your money. Successful people always network and create those life-lasting profitable relationships. Start by creating social media profiles on LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook. These three specific networks are the best choices when it comes to this type of activity. You’ll find lots of opportunities and career choices along the way. LinkedIn, for example, is filled with business professionals that are branding their companies and also networking in the same time. Twitter is also very used in these matters, and Facebook… Facebook is good for everything, including networking.
Building a successful career takes time, effort, and patience. If you’re willing to sacrifice some free time and you’re willing to get out of your comfort zone, you will succeed. It’s not that hard, honestly. It just takes courage and commitment to follow everything that you’ve targeted.